Join Mixed-Media Textile Artist and Instructor Larkin Van Horn and create any of three types of 3-D fabric structures, using fused fabric collage, free motion machine stitching, embellishments (including bead embroidery), and hand stitching.
Choose from a selection of vases, boxes, and shrines, or design some other form. Students can also choose to make sample portions of each of the structures, and finish them at home.
All skill levels are welcome; students should know how to operate their own sewing machines. Ages 16+.
What will class time be like? Will I need to work outside of class?
Students will start with the easiest form on the first day and should be able to complete a simple, unembellished version in one day. From there, the other forms will be introduced, students will choose which they wish to pursue, and we will be busy from there, doing collage, stitching, beading, and hand sewing.
Participants wishing to complete complex structures should expect to spend time outside of class in order to finish within the week.
Anywhere from one finished piece to three or more, depending on how much time they want to spend in the studio and how complex they choose to make the pieces.
* Sewing machine (plus cords, owners manual, 90/14 topstitch needles) – machine should do free motion and zigzag functions (bring the right feet for these two functions, as well as straight stitch)
* Fabrics and threads in desired color scheme – the Guild has some fabrics for your use, but if you want something specific, best to bring it
* Scissors – both fabric and paper shears
* 6″ x 12″ quilter’s ruler (available at quilt shops, Pacific Fabrics, JoAnns, etc.)
* ball point pen
The Full Package covers tuition + materials, all meals (Sunday dinner through Saturday brunch) and lodging.
Full Package: $695-$1225
- Private Room – $1225
- Shared Double Room / Yurt – $910
- Library Dorm: $775
- RV Hookup: $745
- Guild Tent $730
- Own Tent: $695
Commuter Cost: $450
(Commuter Cost includes Sunday dinner, Monday through Friday lunches, and Saturday brunch.)
This class is part of the Grünewald Guild’s Summer 2019 Program: Opening. Learn more about the Summer Program.
July 7-13, 2019
This is a non-refundable deposit.
The remaining balance must be paid in full upon arrival.
Date(s) - Jul 7, 2019 until Jul 13 2019